Sunday, April 3, 2011

Honey Cream Caramels - SMS

I made candy! I made candy!


I was so proud of myself this weekend because I made homemade caramel candies for the first time! I now know what the hard ball stage is - that's right my fellow home chefs. This is my first recipe participating in the blog group Sweet Melissa Sundays (SMS). This particular recipe was chosen by Carmen of Baking is my Zen. You will not see the full recipe listed on my blog but it is on hers. I only provide pictures, but darn good ones!















This recipe had very few ingredients which is always a plus but it did require a candy thermometer, which I had to buy. No biggie - I don't think you can ever have too many kitchen tools (although Shaun might not agree with that statement). Basically the only thing to do in this recipe was to combine all the ingredients into one pot and let cook until it reaches 250 degrees. Since I have never made candy before, I had no idea how long that would take... turns out it takes roughly 25-30 minutes.

If you like baking, you really should buy this amazing cookbook, The Sweet Melissa Baking Book. I am sad that this blog group has already gone through more than half of Melissa's recipes from the book because I missed out BUT I will finish out strong now that I am a member!

I think that this candy tastes just like a Werther's Original and Grandma used to eat those, so I am happy with the way they turned out! Tutti Mangia!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

they look amazing!!

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

Welcome to the group! Your caramels look delicious. I love the color. I too purchased my first candy thermometer a while back for a SMS recipe...butterscotch pralines...that recipe didn't go so well. But I'm getting more acquainted with my candy thermometer and absolutely loved this recipe. Nice job on your caramels!

Ms Fifikins said...

Wow! They look awesome! And welcome to SMS too! Now you have the thermometer, you have to try the peanut brittle!

Pup to the Rescue said...

Please please tell me you brought some in to share with the class..it would make my Monday!

Pup to the Rescue said...

Please Please tell me you brought some in to share with the class, it would make my Monday!

Tessa said...

Your caramels look like they held their shape really well. Mine were just a little soft. They could have stood to cook just a few degrees more. =)

Welcome to SMS!

Jacqueline said...

Oooh, can't wait to try these!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...