Tuesday, September 7, 2010

TACO NIGHT!

Recently, I went to Costco to get a few staples... and among the spice aisle I saw this HUGE taco seasoning jar for less than $4.00 so I had to buy it. I LOVE eating different kinds of tacos, but I especially love tacos made with turkey meat. In face, it is one of my go-to meals when I am looking to make a quick dinner. Now that I have such a gigantic seasoning mix at my disposal, I have to start coming up with new ways to use it up. Dinner on this particular night included potato wedges as a side dish, in which I used salt, pepper, olive oil and taco seasoning. It added amazing flavor to them and I loved it.

When I make my tacos, I use ground turkey not only because it is healthier for you but I think it has a great taste. The turkey really adapts to the flavor of whatever spices you are putting on it because it is less fatty than beef. I start the dish by putting a little olive oil in a saute pan with diced onions and peppers. BTW, there is almost nothing better than the smell of onions sauteing, except when my mom makes her red sauce, but that's another blog post all-together! Once the onions and peppers start to sweat and become translucent, add your ground turkey (or any other meat you'd like). Make sure that it cooks until the meat is no longer pink. Then go ahead and add water and the taco seasoning. For your information, I don't measure any of these ingredients, I go by smell and taste because I've made this exact (very easy) dish so many times. The taco seasoning flavors will start to meld together with all of the other ingredients and the water will evaporate almost all the way. That is when you know dinner is served!

I use both hard and soft taco shells when we have Taco Night at my house. For this particular taco, I put out toppings such as guacamole, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, raw onions and cheddar cheese. Usually I end up over-stuffing my taco shell so everything falls out onto my plate but I just eat that up with a fork!

Tutti Mangia!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...