Thursday, October 21, 2010

Prosciutto Chicken Breasts

 
I'm very sorry about the lack of blog posts recently. I was in Washington DC for a work event and then went on to Baltimore for a short vacation, yet I was still gone a whole week! The night before I left, I decided to use up a few ingredients left in my fridge since they would have went to waste anyway. I had chicken breasts in the freezer along with cheddar cheese and prosciutto in the fridge. VOILA - dinner would be served! This was a very easy but flavorful and delicious dinner! I made three chicken breasts so that Shaun would have one good dinner while I was gone. I found a recipe online that gave me the idea for this but I put my own spin on it (courtesy of Real Simple).

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts
Olive oil
Ground black pepper 
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons garlic powder
6 slices of prosciutto
Cheddar cheese

Drizzle chicken breast with olive oil and season with spices. The reason I did not use any salt on the chicken was because the prosciutto is full of it, but feel free to if you would like. If you notice in the picture that my chicken looks thinner than yours, that is because I always pound out my chicken that way so it cooks evenly. 
More Surface Area = More Flavor!

Saute the chicken breast in a pan on one side until it turns white. Go ahead and flip the chicken at this point. Then, lay 2 slices of prosciutto on each chicken breast (cooked side up). You need make sure the chicken cooks up on both sides before the prosciutto has a chance to get too crisp or burn! Once that second side is almost done cooking, turn the chicken one more time so that the prosciutto is now on the bottom of the pan. This will allow it's fat to render and it to get crispy and delicious!

Flip the chicken just one more time so that the prosciutto is back on top again.At this point you want to put the slices of cheddar or any cheese on top so that it can start melting. You should not jump to this point until the chicken is basically cooked through. It will not take more than a minute or two for  the cheese to melt, especially if you put a lid on your saute pan to hold in the heat. This recipe would serve three people just fine, with a side dish or two to complete the meal of course!

Tutti Mangia!


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...