Monday, February 21, 2011

Orange Pork with Scallions

I adore salty foods - probably more than sweets - so from time to time I get cravings for stir-fry. This recipe, adapted from Cooking Light, is really easy to make and can easily be modified with what is in your fridge and pantry at the moment. Of course I changed a few things, but when don't I? It is important to have all of your ingredients prepped and ready to go when you begin this recipe. Stir-fry recipes come together very quickly and you can't be stuck scrambling in the fridge or chopping ingredients. That is exactly why this recipe is a good one to make on a weeknight after work!

Ingredients:
1 pound pork tenderloin  
(I used chicken)
2 tbsp cornstarch, divided
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup orange juice  
(I doubled this)
2 tbsp soy sauce  
(I doubled this)
1 tsp chili garlic sauce  
(I omitted this)

1/4 tsp salt
Cooking spray
1 1/2 tsp canola oil
2 cups matchstick-cut carrots
1/4 cup water
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp minced garlic
1/3 cup sliced green onions



Directions:
Cut pork into 2 x 1/4-inch-wide strips. Combine pork and 1 tablespoon cornstarch in a bowl; toss well. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch, broth, and next 4 ingredients (through salt).

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. I used a little olive oil because my wok is not non-stick. Add pork to pan; saute 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness (if you use chicken, this needs to be cooked until white on the inside); stir frequently. Remove pork from pan.

Heat oil in pan. Add carrots, 1/4 cup water, ginger, and garlic to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Return pork to pan. Stir in broth mixture; bring to a boil. Cook 30 seconds. At this point I put a lid on the pan to trap the heat in so that my carrots would steam. I don't like them too crunchy. Stir in 1/3 cup onions. Serve immediately. Garnish with sliced onions, if desired. Serves 4.

This recipe is from Cooking Light, another healthy recipe - only 214 calories and 6.9g of fat if you follow the recipe exactly. It may be fewer calories than ordering take-out but it does not lack in flavor. The orange juice becomes concentrated after being cooked so you taste a nice hint of orange. I have a feeling adding orange zest next time will make it even better. The soy sauce of course contributes to this dish's saltiness which I adore. The cornstarch really helps to thicken up the sauce and coats the chicken nicely. I served this dish over white rice (that I made in my awesome rice cooker from my awesome brother Michael). Two thumbs up!

Let me know your favorite stir-fry recipe or your favorite take-out place - post your comment on this blog!

Tutti Mangia! 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...