Thursday, September 1, 2011

Club: Baked - Boston Cream Pie Cake

Boston Cream Pie is the official dessert of Massachusetts - my humble abode. I had to do it. 

This was, however, my first experience making pastry cream. The reason I have never made it is because I was nervous I would under cook the egg yolks in it. That's why I invited my friend Liz, who is a baker at Flour Bakery & Cafe in Boston, to give me a lesson in making it. She went to the Culinary Institute of America so I knew I'd be in good hands. Of course, I was nice enough to repay her with dinner that night! If you don't have a great friend like me, check out Baking 911 for a tutorial on how to make pastry cream. 

I pretty much followed the whole recipe to a tee except that I filled only two layers with cream instead of three. My cakes baked up too thin for me to cut them in half horizontally. Oh yeah, I also used WAY too much chocolate ganache. Have I mentioned my love for all things chocolate? Weird, I thought I have before... 

This was an experiment gone awry.
 Say hello to my chocolate moat...
 I am typically not a huge fan of Boston Cream Pie in general but this cake was different! This cake I liked. If you are unaware of what a cake like this consists of, check out the explanation and demonstration video on Joy of Cooking. Perhaps it was delicious because half of the pastry cream was chocolate and chocolate makes everything better. It also could have been the rum I added to the vanilla pastry cream.... hmmm... *hiccup*

Either way, I'm glad I made this cake and broadened my horizons to more pastry cream recipes. Cream puffs, Napoleons, Eclairs - oh my! Check out how my friends (the other bakers) did at Club: Baked. For the full recipe, head on over to Brooke's Bountiful Kitchen.

Tutti Mangia!

8 comments:

nicole said...

ha i love the ton of chocolate you dumped on it. funny.

confession... never had Boston Creme Pie and I have lived in Boston for 8 years.

Anonymous said...

i agree with you..loved the pastry cream..yummyyy..& loved your chocolate moat..i think more desserts could use chocolate moats!! :)

Unknown said...

Lovely! I just ordered the Flour cookbook the other day and cannot wait to receive it in the mail.....I cannot imagine how thrilled I would be to have a Flour staff member as a friend! Kudos on your cake.....I sat this one out because of timing, but I am so tempted to make it this weekend....everyone's cakes look so amazing!

Lulu the Baker said...

If you're going to make too much of something, chocolate ganache is a great choice! Yum!!

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

Love the moat! I don't think you can really have too much chocolate. This was my first time making pastry cream too and I absolutely loved it. Good stuff!

K. said...

I love your cake! It looks so yummy! I agree with you that the chocolate pastry cream and the rum added really makes this cake delicious!

Kirsten said...

Love your chocolate moat! I'm so glad you tried it with the rum and liked it.....I knew kids were going to have mine so I left it out. And I'm so jealous you have a friend that works at Flour! I've got their cookbook, and it's fantastic!

PhDcupcaker said...

I totally agree about chocolate. My ganache pretty much did the same thing. I probably used too much, but like you said - you can't have too much chocolate!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...