Monday, January 3, 2011

French Raisin Apple Pie


I am not French, but I will not argue the fact that the French can bake! What makes this recipe different than traditional American (or Dutch) Apple Pie is the lack of a second crust. This pie has a crumbly, sweet streusel topping instead. I happen to love streusel toppings on anything. In case you were wondering where the term streusel came from, we have the German's to thank for that. It means "something scattered or sprinkled", from the verb streuen. This recipe is not to be confused with the popular Tart Tatin - an upside-down apple tart made with caramelized apples - also delicious.

Ingredients:
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp plus 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups (4-6 medium) peeled, chopped tart apples (I used Pink Lady apples)
1 tbsp lemon juice (I omitted this)
1 9-inch unbaked pie dough round or shell
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine

Directions: Heat oven to 425 degrees. Combine raisins, sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon and salt. Mix with apples and lemon juice. If using pie dough, fit into 9-inch pan according to package directions. Pour fruit into pie shell.

Combine remaining 3/4 cup flour, brown sugar and butter until mixture
resembles course crumbs. Sprinkle
crumbs evenly over raisin-apple mixture.

Bake on lowest oven rack for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 45-55 minutes (my oven took 55 minutes) or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold.

Your house will smell incredible as this pie bakes. Take my word for it. It was my holiday gift to our neighbors. They told me they thoroughly enjoyed it - Tutti Mangia!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...