Tuesday, January 4, 2011

White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies


Nothing says Christmas better than this recipe. Cinnamon, white chocolate and dried cranberries - need I say more? Perhaps it is the oats in it that makes it even more homey. It is a fairly simple recipe that is done in about a half hour, including cooking time. Honestly, keep this one in your recipe drawer the entire winter season - they will make you happy even when there is two feet of snow on the ground.

Did you ever wonder what makes white chocolate white? Of course I did. Do you want to know the answer? I'm going to tell you anyway... It does not have cocoa liquor in it. Apparently there is a big controversy over whether or not it should be called chocolate at all! This also means that it lacks the nutritional value that cocoa gives you. Oh well, that won't stop me from eating it!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats (not instant)
3/4 cup dried cranberries
6 oz white chocolate chips (I used white chocolate chunks and coarsely chopped them)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl using an electric mixer combine the sugar, brown sugar and butter; mix well to cream together.
3. Add in egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
4. Add the cinnamon, baking soda, salt and flour and mix well.
5. Fold in the oatmeal, dried cranberries and white chocolate chips - making sure that all ingredients are uniformly distributed. (Dough will be very thick - that is fine though.)

6. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place 3 inches apart onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes, just until the edges are lightly golden.
7. Remove from oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer cookies to cooling rack. Makes 36 cookies.

You need to keep your oven light on and really watch these cookies - my entire first batch burned so I had to start over and make a new batch! For those of you who like thinner, darker cookies, I was able to salvage some and they were still delicious!

Here is a picture of all 3 cookies I baked for Christmas...
These cookies are to the left, Rocky Road in the middle (blog post to come soon),
Ginger cookies on the right (blog post from last month).

Tutti Mangia!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal cookie recipe! :) It's pretty much my favorite, too... I got pretty lucky when I created it, I had no idea it would turn out so well and be so popular!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...