Monday, August 15, 2011

Club: Baked - Sunday Night Cake

When I saw this recipe, I thought "Why is it called a Sunday Night Cake? I don't need a specific day to allow me to eat cake." When I told my friends that I was making this cake, they asked me what was with the name as well. These are the responses I got...

"The cake is a breakfast cake (like coffee cake) so you make it for brunch and then dress up the leftovers with icing so that you have cake later that night and no leftovers!" - Vanessa
"Sunday night is family dinner nights so the special occasion warrants a cake." - Shaun (I am totally turning my fiance into an Italian hehe)
"When you've been good all week, Sunday night you can splurge and have a piece of cake!" - Sylvia (I second that opinion.)
"You deserve cake every day - this is just the Sunday version.  Next week we can do Monday cake." - Liz (She is a baker - surprised?)
"Sundays always suck, so you need a cake to make it better." - Anthony

Regardless of why it has it's name, I think this cake was yummy. 
The smell of it baking ran all throughout my house. *sigh*

The yellow cake base had a hint of cinnamon in it so it tasted very similar to coffee cake. Just to clarify, by "hint" I mean I doubled the amount of cinnamon the recipe called for. What can I say, I like cinnamon. Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly. I baked it for 35 minutes, turning halfway between baking, but it was a tad bit dry. It was even more surprising to me because one of its ingredients was sour cream. I thought sour cream could do no wrong! It said to bake it for 35-40 minutes but next time I'll bake it for 32 minutes.

Lesson learned.

As for the frosting, I loved it on the cake and on it's own. No, I did not lick the beaters and the bowl clean. It was incredibly fudgy with a strong taste of dark chocolate. Overall I did like this cake and will definitely make it again. I'll just try not to dry it out next time.

Julie from A Little Bit of Everything chose the recipe this time around. Take a moment to check out her blog for the full cake recipe. You can see what the other Club: Baked members thought of this recipe here! Next up for Club: Baked is Boston Cream Pie Cake! 


Tutti Mangia!

12 comments:

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

I agree with several of your friends comments. I ate this cake for breakfast and loved it. And really, every day of the week should have it's own cake I think!

Great cake!

k.a.r.e.n said...

Great frosting job! I'm going to try the chocolate frosting since there are so many rave reviews about it.

Jess said...

I love the responses you got to why it's called Sunday night cake. Great job. I overcooked my cake a little too, but it was more moist than I thought it would be given my negligence.

PhDcupcaker said...

Cute post! I love the responses you got about the name... I was wondering about that too.

Unknown said...

I'm in love with cinnamon, too. I might follow your lead and double the cinnamon next time I make it, because I plan to use a different frosting next time (don't care for chocolate and cinnamon together much.)

Alex said...

looks great! I love the way you decorated it! I wasn't able to participate in this recipe, but I think I might still need to make it!

Elaine said...

Hi! I didn't know there was another BAKED bake along group! I belong to a different one and we made the Grasshopper Bars from the BAKED Exploration book yesterday. Your Sunday Cake turned out so pretty!

Julie said...

Your cake looks beautiful!! Thanks for baking along with me.

Tessa said...

I love the "you deserve cake everyday comment!" Your responses are fun in general.

P.S. I think it's really hard to get too much cinnamon :)

Crystal said...

I am somewhere close to Anthony. Sunday's don't suck so much as they are a haunting reminder that Monday is hours away.
Love the cake bling, that green really bounces the chocolate cake- fun. I also agree with you-cake is good anytime. Nice job.

Kirsten said...

Great job! And cute ideas on the name :)

Stephanie said...

Whenever I make a recipe, I always set the timer for 5 minutes less than the recipe says. I made a recipe for another baking group one time that took a lot of time and effort, and when I took it out of the oven at the recommended time, it was absolutely BURNT! I was so upset, that I always under-estimate baking times now. I'd rather have to put it back in than see it burnt and ruined. You'll have to give this one another try b/c it really was quite moist!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...