Friday, August 5, 2011

FFwD: Slow Roasted Tomatoes / Tomatoes Confites

What did I do last night, you ask?

I had nothing better to do than roast some tomatoes for 3 1/2 hours.
No big deal...
(Before Pictures) 
This recipe was as simple as it gets. I would love for each of you to check out Dorie's website/blog where you can see how to make this dish. Even the most novice cooker can proudly make these tomatoes.

Confites is the French word for confit (pronounced "con-fee"). It is a term used to describe the process of immersing different foods in a substance, such as olive oil, for both flavor and preservation. That means you COULD cook these tomatoes, submerse them in olive oil and save them for a rainy day. There are a lot of things I COULD do, but that is not one of them. I'm greedy - I can't "save" good food for another time, I have to eat it right away!

The reason these tomatoes have to cook low and slow is because that is how you concentrate their flavor. They are naturally sweet and this process brings that to a whole new level. I roasted a few garlic cloves and fresh rosemary alongside the tomatoes for another level of flavor. These are absolutely delicious all on their own or you can toss them with pasta or add to a salad... the possibilities are endless! My lunch today consists of some spaghetti, sauteed mushrooms and these sweet little nuggets of goodness.

Jealous?

To see how others fared with these slow-roasted tomatoes, check out French Fridays with Dorie where we make recipes from Dorie Greenspan’s Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours.

Tutti Mangia!


7 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

It was nice how something could be so "hands off" and yet work so well.

Anonymous said...

My niece is going to get her own place soon. I think I might have her over for a day of cooking/baking and this might be on the list.

Elin Chia said...

This is so good that I shall make another bigger batch later in the week so that I can have many uses of them in different cooking. Worth the 3 hours of roasting them :) Yours look great too !

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Mmmmmm....yours look perfect! And I love the idea of tossing them with pasta and yummy mushrooms~

Betsy said...

I think it's so funny that you just had to eat these right away. But, I can understand, they were oh-so-good! Great photos!

tricia s. said...

Your photos look great - I wish I could reach out an grab one of these little guys again - they were SO yummy ! Nana loved them as well and has already made a 2nd batch. Two 3 hour bouts of the oven in August - you know we are loving this recipe :)

Elaine said...

Seeing your photos just make me want to roast some more of these and especially have them with spaghetti!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...