Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mushroom Stuffed Zucchini Boats

 Every summer I search for more creative veggie recipes to try out. When I walk into the grocery store or go to the farmers market, there are so many delicious juicy vegetables just waiting for me to purchase them - how could I say no? These little "boats" I put together are easy enough for a side dish but meaty enough for a vegetarian dinner. I've made them twice already and once was even for company! It was only Shaun's parents, but they still count... they told me they loved them! I think the bold flavors of the sauteed mushrooms and garlic along with the tangy Asiago cheese works wonders together.

I adapted this recipe from a great blog called "For the Love of Cooking". Pam, the blogger, is amazing at what she does! She has inspired me to use more creativity in the kitchen. 
Please check out her blog - maybe you'll be inspired too!

Ingredients:
2 zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise, center spooned out
1 tbsp olive oil
16 oz white button mushrooms, sliced (I adore mushrooms but you might want less)
1/2 small yellow onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
Salt and Freshly ground Pepper
Fresh basil, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
8 tbsp Asiago cheese, shredded (divided) - or more if your little heart desires!
6 tbsp panko breadcrumbs

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and mushrooms to the skillet with a pinch of salt to draw out their liquid. Cook until tender and browned, about 12 minutes. Add the minced garlic, salt and pepper, to taste, then cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool (your hands will be getting dirty!).

Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and slightly scoop out the filling down the center of the zucchini. Drizzle each of them with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and bake for 10 minutes. Take out of the oven; this was just to soften them a little.

Add half of the Asiago cheese, the chopped basil and tomato to the mushrooms; mix well. Spoon the mushroom mixture down the center of the zucchini. Mix the other half of the Asiago cheese with the panko breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the top of each zucchini boat with the cheese/panko mixture. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Serves 2 as a side dish.

Tutti Mangia!

1 comments:

Elaine said...

I have to make these! I am always looking for new ways to fix zucchini and I know my husband would love these. And, me of course! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...